Amanda-Users

Re: Are you running snapshots?

2009-08-11 12:12:04
Subject: Re: Are you running snapshots?
From: "Alan Pearson" <alandpearson AT yahoo DOT com>
To: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 15:47:49 +0100 (BST)
Hi Dustin

You have to appreciate a lot of people have AMANDA in production
environments and it is working. We are very reluctant to change it in case
it breaks, we don't want the overhead of having to fix it.

Example we are deploying a 2.5.2 snapshot that has fixes in it that we
raised.

Speaking personally, I will not upgrade my AMANDA environment until I
absolutely have to, as it took quite a bit of effort to get it working
with our changer, kerberos auth and environment.

I am especially nervous to change since AMANDA has changed so much (read -
the change to PERL) and is no longer a straight upgrade with bugfixes and
new features
I personally think this is a failing of the AMANDA team to realise this,
and to see that a lot of sys admins are reluctant to upgrade for these
reasons.

Just my 2c

AlanP

--