Amanda-Users

Re: How to define tape sequence

2009-05-31 14:35:50
Subject: Re: How to define tape sequence
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 14:24:17 -0400
On Sunday 31 May 2009, Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
>From: Gene Heskett Sent: May 27, 2009 20:56
>
>> On Wednesday 27 May 2009, Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
>> >Amanda 2.6.1, RHEL 5.3
>>
>> Mmm, from tarball or rpm?
>
>>>From the amanda.org RPM file.
>
>> >6. My first amdump started with tape 5 and then the next went to 1
>> >   and then back to 5 and now just uses 5 (and does not dump
>> >    anything).
>>
>> Inspect the tapelist at your /build/path/etc/amanda/DailySet1/, usually
>> /usr/local/etc/amanda/, something went agaga.  It sounds as if
>> there are only
>> 2 entries, where there should be 5.  Amlabel originates that
>> file, and amdump
>> shuffles the list as they are used.
>
>There were definitely 5 entries. I think the problem was that it did
>a level 0 and then an (empty) level 1. Each subsequent amdump was also
>empty hence the re-use of the tape.

Humm, amanda will NOT reuse a tape until 'tapecycle' tapes have been used.

>> If the system is not 'adjusted' by human hands :), the normal tape
>> usage will be in the order they were labeled.  I use a script that
>> increments the tape number as they are being labeled when I need to
>> restart the whole thing as I did about 60 days back due to a drive
>> failure of the drive the vtapes I use were on.
>
>I did "adjust" things so this could have been part of the problem.
>
>> Any other problems should be found by an su amanda -c "amcheck
>> DailySet1" where 'amanda' is the user who will run the backups. That
>> user can be anyone, but should be a member of the group disk or
>> backup, even bin for some distributions. Probably compiled in & fixed
>> by RH if its rpm's. And my advise isn't going to be 100% spot on as
>> I don't use the rpms.
>
>I have been using the amanda.org RPMs so the user is amandabackup and
>I have been running the amcheck but no obvious errors.

Ok, can someone familiar with the rpms please chime in here?  I'm way over my
head when talking about the rpms.  Sorry.

As a tarball builder/user, I only know that the last time I got into a scrap
with the honcho's at fedora, who have a bred in distaste for anything not run
through their rpm system, I disabled my crontab entry in the amanda crontab,
then installed the rpms from the F10 repo to see if they would work.  Silly
me, it still ran my locally built version.  Not wanting to spoil what I knew
worked, I pulled the rpms back out.  Current version that ran here last night
was built about 10 minutes before the nightly run from
amanda-2.6.2alpha-20090530.tar.gz., from the zmanda site, using my own build
scripts, and it worked well.

Anyone who wants those scripts, just yelp.  They are not the least complex nor
large.

>Thanks for you for your response.
>
>Regards, Hugh

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

<markm> c++: the power, elegance and simplicity of a hand grenade