Amanda-Users

Re: How to define tape sequence

2009-05-28 00:04:37
Subject: Re: How to define tape sequence
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 23:56:04 -0400
On Wednesday 27 May 2009, Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
>Amanda 2.6.1, RHEL 5.3

Mmm, from tarball or rpm?

>Hi All:
>
>To start with I am new to Amanda so please be gentle<g>.

We're usually pretty easy around here. :)

>I have been successful at getting Amanda up and running with our HP
>MSL2024 LTO4 tape library. Where I am having problems is determining
>how to define the sequence in which the tapes will be written. I have
>spent the last several hours pouring over the documentation, the wiki,
>the man pages and numerous Goolge searches but the answer seems to be
>eluding me or I am just not seeing it (a very real possibility). Could
>someone give me a push (or maybe a hard shove) in the right direction?
>
>Here is some background info (if required):
>
>1. We are planning on doing a nightly full backup of selected
>   directories. A single tape will be more that sufficient to hold
>   the data for the foreseeable future so spanning will not be required.
>   I am more concerned with the automatic rotation of tapes.
>
>2. I created a single backup set (so far) as follows:
>
>   amserverconfig DailySet1 --template tape-changer \
>   ?-tapedev /dev/nst0 --changerdev /dev/sg1 \
>   --mailto pgiadm AT forsoft DOT com \
>   --dumpcycle 0 --runspercycle 1 --tapecycle 2 --runtapes 1
>
>3. I changed the labelstr in the amanada.conf to:
>
>   labelstr "^DS1-[0-9][0-9]*$"
>
>4. I labelled 5 tapes as follows:
>
>   amlabel DailySet1 DS1-01 slot 1
>   amlabel DailySet1 DS1-02 slot 2
>   amlabel DailySet1 DS1-03 slot 3
>   amlabel DailySet1 DS1-04 slot 4
>   amlabel DailySet1 DS1-05 slot 5
>
>5. I set the disklist to (to start with):
>
>   pgips2 /home user-tar
>
>6. My first amdump started with tape 5 and then the next went to 1
>   and then back to 5 and now just uses 5 (and does not dump anything).

Inspect the tapelist at your /build/path/etc/amanda/DailySet1/, usually
/usr/local/etc/amanda/, something went agaga.  It sounds as if there are only
2 entries, where there should be 5.  Amlabel originates that file, and amdump
shuffles the list as they are used.

>I suspect that part of my problem (probably a large part) is conceptual.
>We have plenty of tape and processing time and I was looking for a full
>backup on each amdump execution. I am not really interested in doing
>full and incremental backups but I am aware that this contrary to the
>"amanda" way of doing things. That being said, I do not really see the
>need within our setup for incremental backups. The largest part of our
>backups will be large databases which will be included in each and
>every incremental so why bother with incrementals? I know that is
>sacrilege but, hey, I am an all or nothing sort of guy<g> (and getting
>rather "punchy" at the end of another 12-14 hour day).
>
>But I see I have digressed. Back to my original question: How do
>define the sequence tapes are to be used?

If the system is not 'adjusted' by human hands :), the normal tape usage will
be in the order they were labeled.  I use a script that increments the tape
number as they are being labeled when I need to restart the whole thing as I
did about 60 days back due to a drive failure of the drive the vtapes I use
were on.

Any other problems should be found by an su amanda -c "amcheck DailySet1"
where 'amanda' is the user who will run the backups.  That user can be anyone,
but should be a member of the group disk or backup, even bin for some
distributions.  Probably compiled in & fixed by RH if its rpm's.  And my
advise isn't going to be 100% spot on as I don't use the rpms.

>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
>TIA
>
>Regards, Hugh
>
>--
>Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Ambidextrous, adj.:
        Able to pick with equal skill a right-hand pocket or a left.