Amanda-Users

Re: amrestore and tape rewinding

2009-05-27 09:00:31
Subject: Re: amrestore and tape rewinding
From: Darin Perusich <Darin.Perusich AT cognigencorp DOT com>
To: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 08:50:37 -0400

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 May 2009, Darin Perusich wrote:
>> Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:

>>> Amanda no longer relies on the no-rewind tape device, and always
>>> positions the tape itself.
>> Being able to specify with an argument, -n or whatever, to not rewind
>> the tape would be convenient, a time saver, and make for more efficient
>> recovery I would think.
>>
>>> You may want to consider using a single amrestore invocation to get
>>> the data you need, or using amrecover.
>> The amount of data I'm attempting to restore is larger then the
>> available holding disk space so using a single invocation or amrecover
>> isn't an option.
>
> Since amrecover can, if you are sure of what you are doing, directly
> overwrite
> the stuff you are trying to restore, I am not seeing the connection between
> amrecover and the holding disk's size.  Is my picture incomplete?

I'm restoring about 700gb of images for a bare metal restore and the
hold disk is around 500gb so after I restoring a portion of the images
I'm moving them to an nfs mount to free up space so I can continue
pulling the images from tape. When I initiate the amrestore it rewinds
the tape instead of just starting off at the current tape mark so I
can't just do 'amrestore ... server-name', I need to list out which
images to pull. Before 2.6.x I could just start the amrestore again and
it would pick up where I left off. Using the '-f #' option would be
nearly as convenient but it's not working, I posted another messages
about that already.

> Something else, how hard would it be to add another disk temporarily and spec
> it as a holding disk, it could be mounted right on top of the /dumps
> directory.  It wouldn't be the first time I've had temporary drives hanging
> out of a 44" tower, propped up on a cardboard box if need be to make cables
> fit. :)

I'm not able to do add any additional disk to this server unfortunately
and restoring to an nfs mount is just too slow.

--
Darin Perusich
Unix Systems Administrator