Amanda-Users

Re: amrestore and tape rewinding

2009-05-26 17:08:22
Subject: Re: amrestore and tape rewinding
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 16:58:30 -0400
On Tuesday 26 May 2009, Darin Perusich wrote:
>Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
>> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Darin Perusich
>>
>> <Darin.Perusich AT cognigencorp DOT com> wrote:
>>> Why does 'amrestore' always rewind the tape when I go to restore
>>> something? This is something I just started seeing after upgrading to
>>> 2.6.x, it wasn't happening with previous versions, 2.5.2. The man page
>>> says I can use '-f #' to fast forward the tape to a specific mark but
>>> when I've already done this or I want to say back it up a few marks to
>>> restore something else, or start another restore beginning at the
>>> current mark it's really a waste of time having to wait for the rewind
>>> and the ran back down the tape to retrieve the image.
>>
>> Amanda no longer relies on the no-rewind tape device, and always
>> positions the tape itself.
>
>Being able to specify with an argument, -n or whatever, to not rewind
>the tape would be convenient, a time saver, and make for more efficient
>recovery I would think.
>
>> You may want to consider using a single amrestore invocation to get
>> the data you need, or using amrecover.
>
>The amount of data I'm attempting to restore is larger then the
>available holding disk space so using a single invocation or amrecover
>isn't an option.

Since amrecover can, if you are sure of what you are doing, directly overwrite
the stuff you are trying to restore, I am not seeing the connection between
amrecover and the holding disk's size.  Is my picture incomplete?

Something else, how hard would it be to add another disk temporarily and spec
it as a holding disk, it could be mounted right on top of the /dumps
directory.  It wouldn't be the first time I've had temporary drives hanging
out of a 44" tower, propped up on a cardboard box if need be to make cables
fit. :)

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Z.O.I.D.: Zombie Optimized for Infiltration and Destruction