Amanda-Users

Re: More ranting about issues compiling 2.6.1 on older machines

2009-03-02 18:16:06
Subject: Re: More ranting about issues compiling 2.6.1 on older machines
From: Jeffrey D Anderson <jdanderson AT lbl DOT gov>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 15:13:33 -0800
stan wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 12:12:36PM -0800, Jeffrey D Anderson wrote:
>> stan wrote:
>>
>> > I started a discussion about this the other day, and I am trying to
>> > work through this as a background task while doing the rest of the
>> > things i have to do. I thought I would point out what a PIA it is
>> > turning into to get newer version of Amanda compiled on older machines.
>> >
>> > The glib dependency requires gettext. Also glib will not compile with
>> > older versions of GCC. Now GCC used to build pretty well on older
>> > machines, but it looks like the 4.x version of it now depends upon a
>> > couple of math packages gmp, an mpfr. So, to migrate a given client
>> > (HP-UX in this case) Howard, I am having to compile the following list
>> > of things that did not used to be dependencies:
>> >
>> > gettext
>> > gmp
>> > mpfr
>> > gcc
>> > glub
>> >
>> > That's a lot of stuff just to replace working code with "more
>> > maintainable" code IMHO.
>> >
>> > I really think we need to come up with a plan that results in it being
>> > easier to comile clients on older machines. I have expressed my opinion
>> > that this needs to be a forkof a 2.5 branch, but I did not seem to get
>> > much in the way of buy in by others on this list ofr that. Does anyiine
>> > have a better plan?
>> >

>> I have numerous clients still running amanda 2.4.x clients and talking to
>> my
>> 2.6.1 server.  I would think that maintaining backward compatibility
>> within the amanda server is a more fruitful path than trying to build the
>> latest
>> version on all sorts of older platforms.  Is there reason to believe that
>> older clients will become unsupported sometime soon?
>>
> Have you tried restoring? I have a contractor whose assignment is to prove
> that we can estore on evey machine in the backup system. She assures me
> that earlier cliets cannot do this, and that we must move foward. I have 2
> reasons to beleive her. 1. I trust her, and have worked with her for
> years. 2. It's a fixed price job for here, and the answer she came up will
> definatley cost her money.

I always restore on the server, then transfer files to the clients.  That
clearly works.  I can see that if you need to be able to run amrecover
directly on the clients there are more potential problems with old
versions.  Note, though, that even if the amanda configuration is totally
broken, it is always POSSIBLE to restore just using dd and tar or dump.
Maybe not convenient, though.  You never want to get to that stage if you
can avoid it.

Jeff Anderson
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab