Amanda-Users

More ranting about issues compiling 2.6.1 on older machines

2009-03-02 08:40:06
Subject: More ranting about issues compiling 2.6.1 on older machines
From: stan <stanb AT panix DOT com>
To: amanda users list <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 08:30:31 -0500
I started a discussion about this the other day, and I am trying to work
through this as a background task while doing the rest of the things i have
to do. I thought I would point out what a PIA it is turning into to get
newer version of Amanda compiled on older machines.

The glib dependency requires gettext. Also glib will not compile with
older versions of GCC. Now GCC used to build pretty well on older machines,
but it looks like the 4.x version of it now depends upon a couple of math
packages gmp, an mpfr. So, to migrate a given client (HP-UX in this case)
Howard, I am having to compile the following list of things that did not
used to be dependencies:

gettext
gmp
mpfr
gcc
glub

That's a lot of stuff just to replace working code with "more maintainable"
code IMHO.

I really think we need to come up with a plan that results in it being
easier to comile clients on older machines. I have expressed my opinion
that this needs to be a forkof a 2.5 branch, but I did not seem to get much
in the way of buy in by others on this list ofr that. Does anyiine have a
better plan?

programs.