Amanda-Users

Re: [Amanda-users] best way to organise tape file listings ?

2009-02-19 16:05:43
Subject: Re: [Amanda-users] best way to organise tape file listings ?
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 15:58:04 -0500
On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 2:52 PM, rory_f <amanda-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
wrote:
> how hard would it be to migrate our naming convention over to match our
> labels ? is there any way of doing it?

Well, the Amanda label is written on each tape, at the beginning -- so
you'd need to do some tape-drive trickery to rewrite that
(single-block) file without overwriting the following data.  I'm not
sure tape drives can do that.

The remaining adjustments in Amanda's metadata would be tricky, but
not impossible (basically a global search-and-replace over all of
Amanda's metadata would do the trick).

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer