Amanda-Users

Re: changer problems with 2.6.1

2009-02-18 12:32:40
Subject: Re: changer problems with 2.6.1
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>, amanda users list <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 12:28:24 -0500
On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 11:30 AM, stan <stanb AT panix DOT com> wrote:
> However, what I am suspecting is that we have been using a "corner case" for
> years which may not work now. The new design appears to be able to more
> correctly
> describe our confguration, so I am suspecting that I need to change the
> basic config to one using chg-rait, as i posted a minute ago. Or would you
> suggest that we continue to use the older config, and debug it?

I think your case is actually pretty typical.  The advantage of using
chg-rait is that you can employ chg-zd-mtx to operate a tape robot for
your physical tapes.  If you have no such robot, then the chg-multi
solution is simpler.  Also, the chg-rait shell script seems to be a
bit buggy.  I'm about to commit a new Amanda::Changer::rait, but
obviously that's not in 2.6.1 :(

> Now Here is the output of a failed run with 2.6.1 using the 2.6.1 chg-multi:
>
> arguments -> -info
> Note: setting posteject to a default of true
> Exit -> 2 25 1
> arguments -> -slot current
> Note: setting posteject to a default of true
> Exit -> 2 chg-multi: slot is empty:
(etc.)

chg-multi is running 'amdevcheck' on each device to find out if there
is a volume loaded, and apparently deciding that nothing is loaded.
What is the output of
 amdevcheck DailyDump "rait:{file:/vtapes/DailyDump/vtape1,tape:/dev/nst0}"

If this is "SUCCESS", then you may also want to edit chg-multi
temporarily to echo its $device to the debug file:
421                 exit 2
422         fi
  echo `_ 'Note: checking amdevcheck $device'` >> $logfile
423         amdevcheck_status $device
424         if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
425                 #

--