Amanda-Users

Re: changer problems with 2.6.1

2009-02-18 10:45:27
Subject: Re: changer problems with 2.6.1
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>, amanda users list <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>, "O'Connell, Debbie" <docrtp AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 10:41:26 -0500
On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 10:22 AM, stan <stanb AT panix DOT com> wrote:
>> Interesting -- did you submit patches?
>
> No, we never had the time to figure out what problem had been introduced.
> But, I suspose we must do this now, as we cannot make 2/`.6.1 work at all,
> the old script does not work with it.

I'm not surprised :(

>> I'm curious - what do you need mt for?
>
> I thought that chg-multi used it, no?

Nope (see below).

>> > echo `_ '$var'` >> $logfile
>> >
>> > I (nor my sh interperter) understand these. Looks to me like we are trying
>> > to execute something called + which does not exist.
>>
>> It's a rather ill-advised attempt at internationalization.  It's not
>> pretty, especially in shell.
>
> It's a syntax erro in any Bourne relate shell I am aware of the back ticks
> say run this command, and substiture the output of it into the coammand
> line. Thus we are trying to excute a command called _ which does not exist.
> I have checked my bash, and korn shell books, and niether has any reference
> to a construct like this. What is it "supposed" to do?

It's a function defined in chg-lib.sh, which is sourced at the top of
chg-multi.  It's the shell equivalent of _(), which is (loosely put)
the "translate this string" function used for internationalization.

>>  51 if ! error=try_find_mt; then
>>  52     echo <none> $error
>>  53     exit 2
>>  54 fi
>>
>> but the result ($MT) is never used.  I'd rip that out if I weren't
>> about to delete the whole file :)
>
> I had looked at that.

Sorry to have distracted you :)

> I'll comment on this ina seperate message.

Sounds good.

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer