Amanda-Users

Re: [Amanda-users] Using the Script API for Pre and Post scripts.

2008-12-09 07:52:38
Subject: Re: [Amanda-users] Using the Script API for Pre and Post scripts.
From: Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 07:47:51 -0500
plugin can't be an absolute path, it is a relative path to /usr/libexec/amanda/application, your scripts must be installed in that directory. Why do you run the script on server? They should probably be running on the client, that's where the disk are located.

Jean-Louis

ebelcher wrote:
Hi,

I'd like some assistance in understanding pre and post scripts using the
scripts API. Unfortunately, I find Amanda backup very difficult to get my head
around. I must think differently or something.

I have two requirements.

in the first I need to create a snapshot, convert images to files ready for
backup and then close the snapshot. This is what I have so far. os_system is
the name of the Backup Set. My scripts are standard linux shell scripts that
the user amandabackup can successfully run.

/etc/amanda/os_system/amanda.conf

define script-tool os_snapshot_start {
comment "Snapshot and Process os_images"
plugin "setup_os_systembackup.sh"
execute-where server
execute-on pre-dle-backup
}
define dumptype gui-base {
global
program "APPLICATION"
application "app_amgtar"
comment "gui base dumptype dumped with tar"
compress none
index yes
script "os_snapshot_start"
strategy noinc
auth "bsdtcp"
fallback_splitsize 100 Mbytes
}

This doesn't work. Not sure what the dumper directory is. The script for this
one is located in the /etc/amanda/os_system directory.

The second one is a little more complicated.

1. I need to create a snapshot, map the partitions to readable disks using
kpartx
2. Backup files to Tape.
3. Undo kpartx and release the snapshot.

Step 1 is accomplished by running the script setup_db_systembackup.sh.
Step 3 is accomplished by running the script finish_db_systembackup.sh

This is my attempt.

db_system is the name of the Backup Set.

/etc/amanda/db_system/amanda.conf

define script-tool db_snapshot_start {
comment "Snapshot and Process db_images"
plugin "/etc/amanda/esriscripts/setup_db_systembackup.sh"
execute-where server
execute-on pre-dle-backup
}

define script-tool db_snapshot_finish {
comment "Close db snapshot"
plugin "/etc/amanda/esriscripts/finish_db_systembackup.sh"
execute-where server
execute-on post-dle-backup
}

define dumptype gui-base {
global
program "APPLICATION"
application "app_amgtar"
comment "gui base dumptype dumped with tar"
compress none
index yes
script "db_snapshot_start"
script "db_snapshot_finish"
}

You notice I've used absolute paths here, trying another option. Neither work,
so I'm not getting how this is supposed to work. Could you please assist.

I should mention here as well for context that each component, the script files
and the backups all work independently. That is I can run the os_system script
manually, run the backup manually and it all works. Same for the db_system.
It's just getting it to all work together in the right sequence that I'm
struggling with.
Thanks.
Eric.