Amanda-Users

[Amanda-users] Using the Script API for Pre and Post scripts.

2008-12-09 01:48:10
Subject: [Amanda-users] Using the Script API for Pre and Post scripts.
From: ebelcher <amanda-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 00:19:27 -0500
Hi,

I'd like some assistance in understanding pre and post scripts using the
scripts API. Unfortunately, I find Amanda backup very difficult to get my head
around. I must think differently or something.

I have two requirements.

in the first I need to create a snapshot, convert images to files ready for
backup and then close the snapshot. This is what I have so far. os_system is
the name of the Backup Set. My scripts are standard linux shell scripts that
the user amandabackup can successfully run.

/etc/amanda/os_system/amanda.conf

define script-tool os_snapshot_start {
comment "Snapshot and Process os_images"
plugin "setup_os_systembackup.sh"
execute-where server
execute-on pre-dle-backup
}
define dumptype gui-base {
global
program "APPLICATION"
application "app_amgtar"
comment "gui base dumptype dumped with tar"
compress none
index yes
script "os_snapshot_start"
strategy noinc
auth "bsdtcp"
fallback_splitsize 100 Mbytes
}

This doesn't work. Not sure what the dumper directory is. The script for this
one is located in the /etc/amanda/os_system directory.

The second one is a little more complicated.

1. I need to create a snapshot, map the partitions to readable disks using
kpartx
2. Backup files to Tape.
3. Undo kpartx and release the snapshot.

Step 1 is accomplished by running the script setup_db_systembackup.sh.
Step 3 is accomplished by running the script finish_db_systembackup.sh

This is my attempt.

db_system is the name of the Backup Set.

/etc/amanda/db_system/amanda.conf

define script-tool db_snapshot_start {
comment "Snapshot and Process db_images"
plugin "/etc/amanda/esriscripts/setup_db_systembackup.sh"
execute-where server
execute-on pre-dle-backup
}

define script-tool db_snapshot_finish {
comment "Close db snapshot"
plugin "/etc/amanda/esriscripts/finish_db_systembackup.sh"
execute-where server
execute-on post-dle-backup
}

define dumptype gui-base {
global
program "APPLICATION"
application "app_amgtar"
comment "gui base dumptype dumped with tar"
compress none
index yes
script "db_snapshot_start"
script "db_snapshot_finish"
}

You notice I've used absolute paths here, trying another option. Neither work,
so I'm not getting how this is supposed to work. Could you please assist.

I should mention here as well for context that each component, the script files
and the backups all work independently. That is I can run the os_system script
manually, run the backup manually and it all works. Same for the db_system.
It's just getting it to all work together in the right sequence that I'm
struggling with.
Thanks.
Eric.