Amanda-Users

Re: Time outs for S3 Backups

2008-12-08 12:37:45
Subject: Re: Time outs for S3 Backups
From: Nikolas Coukouma <atrus AT zmanda DOT com>
To: mlb AT imparisystems DOT com
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 12:30:59 -0500
On Mon, 2008-12-08 at 07:02 -0500, Matt Burkhardt wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-12-07 at 21:40 -0500, Nikolas Coukouma wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-12-07 at 13:25 -0500, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
> > >
> > > ... These errors
> > > are only reported to you after 14 retrires, which means Amazon has
> > > been given ample opportunity to resolve any network issues.
> > If the bucket you're trying to backup to isn't created yet, that's
> > probably the problem. If the problem persists, I'd recommend either
> > trying the beta or compiling a copy from source, tweaking the values in
> > device-src/s3.c ....
> I'm sure you probably already know, but I'm running the Ubuntu Hardy
> 2.6.1b1 package.  I just downloaded the source for 2.6.1b1 and those
> definitions are already set in the s3.c file - would it be worth it to
> try and uninstall the package and reinstall from source?

Nope.

Since you're running 2.6.1b1, you can try setting the property S3_SSL to
"false" temporarily and using a packet capture tool like Wireshark to
take a closer look. This disables the encryption that's usually used to
transfer your data to Amazon, so it's not a good idea to leave it off
during normal operation.

If you want to try that and send the packet capture file (from having
SSL disabled) to me off-list, I'd be happy to take a look. If you're not
planning to look yourself, you might save yourself some installation by
using tcpdump to create the capture:
tcpdump -i <interface> -s 1500 -w <some-file>

Best of luck,
--
        Nikolas Coukouma
        Design Engineer, Zmanda, Inc.