Amanda-Users

Re: Time outs for S3 Backups

2008-12-08 07:07:59
Subject: Re: Time outs for S3 Backups
From: Matt Burkhardt <mlb AT imparisystems DOT com>
To: Nikolas Coukouma <atrus AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 07:02:44 -0500
On Sun, 2008-12-07 at 21:40 -0500, Nikolas Coukouma wrote:
On Sun, 2008-12-07 at 13:25 -0500, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 12:22 PM, Matt Burkhardt <mlb AT imparisystems DOT com> wrote:
> > Now that I've got my holding disk set up, I've been running into issues with
> > timeouts from S3.
>
> ... These errors
> are only reported to you after 14 retrires, which means Amazon has
> been given ample opportunity to resolve any network issues.

Actually, the 2.6.0p2 release (and earlier) uses significantly different
values.
The maximum number of retries is only 5 and the resulting time is fairly
short (the backoff increases exponentially). I believe that 2.6.0p2 only
waits a a couple seconds

If the bucket you're trying to backup to isn't created yet, that's
probably the problem. If the problem persists, I'd recommend either
trying the beta or compiling a copy from source, tweaking the values in
device-src/s3.c .

Specifically, you'd want to change the values
#define EXPONENTIAL_BACKOFF_START_USEC 10000
#define EXPONENTIAL_BACKOFF_MAX_RETRIES 5
#define EXPONENTIAL_BACKOFF_START_USEC G_USEC_PER_SEC/100
#define EXPONENTIAL_BACKOFF_MAX_RETRIES 14

Regards,
I'm sure you probably already know, but I'm running the Ubuntu Hardy 2.6.1b1 package.  I just downloaded the source for 2.6.1b1 and those definitions are already set in the s3.c file - would it be worth it to try and uninstall the package and reinstall from source?

Thanks!

Matt Burkhardt, MSTM
President
Impari Systems, Inc.