Amanda-Users

Re: 2.6.1alpha-20081121 oddity

2008-11-24 09:54:43
Subject: Re: 2.6.1alpha-20081121 oddity
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:49:02 -0500
On Monday 24 November 2008, Jean-Louis Martineau wrote:
>What are you extracting? If the DLE have hard link you must extract the
>complete DLE. gtar save the DLE only for the first file, this file must
>be extracted.
>You tried to extract './sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/hosts' but
>you didn't extracted './hosts'.

Because it had already been pulled, and added to.  Spare box in the basement,
now I can play with new linux releases. :)

>Which release of amrecover are you using?

See subject line, I'd just installed it.  And I found out how to trigger a
rescan, thanks to Tejun Heo, so I now have the source of those files
mountable.  I pulled a few more things from it, and now have
an 'e2fsck -c -c /dev/sdd1' running on it to see if that will make it remap
some badblocks.  I think I'll warranty it anyway, 3 year drive, got less than
a year out of it.

Thanks for the explanation, and thank you.

>Jean-Louis
>
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> I have not restarted the nightly amanda run yet, still fine tuning this
>> new install.
>>
>> amrecover finally decided to work for about 95% of the time, but I find
>> its an exellent hard link finder, cuz tar can't deal with those and does
>> an error exit:
>>
>> ./sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/hosts
>> tar: ./sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/hosts: Cannot hard link to
>> `./hosts': No such file or directory
>> ./sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth0
>> ./sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/network
>> ./sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/resolv.conf
>> tar: ./sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/resolv.conf: Cannot hard link
>> to `./resolv.conf': No such file or directory
>> tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
>> Extractor child exited with status 2
>> Extracting files using tape drive chg-disk on host coyote.
>> =====
>> this doesn't surprise me as I was extracting to /tmp, not /etc.  But this
>> next thing bothers me.  Can it not get that -o info the
>> /$config/amanda.conf? =====
>> Load tape Dailys-13 now
>> Continue [?/Y/n/s/d]?
>> warning: restore program for APPLICATION not available.
>> amrecover couldn't exec: No such file or directory
>>  problem executing restore
>> Extractor child exited with status 1
>> Extracting files using tape drive chg-disk on host coyote.
>> Load tape Dailys-16 now
>> Continue [?/Y/n/s/d]?
>> warning: restore program for APPLICATION not available.
>> amrecover couldn't exec: No such file or directory
>>  problem executing restore
>> Extractor child exited with status 1
>> amrecover> exit
>> 200 Good bye.
>>
>> I would assume I would set the '-o amgtar' option on the cli, in which
>> case the first extraction above would probably have failed, while the last
>> 2 tapes would have been read ok instead of the error.
>>
>> Comments Dustin?  Have I uncovered a potential gotcha?  These tapes
>> straddle the time frame where I converted to using amgtar.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Mal: "Well, lady I must say..." (admiring smile) "...you're my kinda
stupid."
                                --Episode #13, "Heart of Gold"