Amanda-Users

2.6.1alpha-20081121 oddity

2008-11-24 00:11:17
Subject: 2.6.1alpha-20081121 oddity
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 00:03:46 -0500
Greetings;

I have not restarted the nightly amanda run yet, still fine tuning this new
install.

amrecover finally decided to work for about 95% of the time, but I find its an
exellent hard link finder, cuz tar can't deal with those and does an error
exit:

./sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/hosts
tar: ./sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/hosts: Cannot hard link to
`./hosts': No such file or directory
./sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth0
./sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/network
./sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/resolv.conf
tar: ./sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/resolv.conf: Cannot hard link to
`./resolv.conf': No such file or directory
Extractor child exited with status 2
Extracting files using tape drive chg-disk on host coyote.
=====
this doesn't surprise me as I was extracting to /tmp, not /etc.  But this next
thing bothers me.  Can it not get that -o info the /$config/amanda.conf?
=====
Load tape Dailys-13 now
Continue [?/Y/n/s/d]?
warning: restore program for APPLICATION not available.
amrecover couldn't exec: No such file or directory
 problem executing restore
Extractor child exited with status 1
Extracting files using tape drive chg-disk on host coyote.
Load tape Dailys-16 now
Continue [?/Y/n/s/d]?
warning: restore program for APPLICATION not available.
amrecover couldn't exec: No such file or directory
 problem executing restore
Extractor child exited with status 1
amrecover> exit
200 Good bye.

I would assume I would set the '-o amgtar' option on the cli, in which case
the first extraction above would probably have failed, while the last 2 tapes
would have been read ok instead of the error.

Comments Dustin?  Have I uncovered a potential gotcha?  These tapes straddle
the time frame where I converted to using amgtar.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Never be led astray onto the path of virtue.