Amanda-Users

Amanda Debugging

2008-11-26 12:37:22
Subject: Amanda Debugging
From: Jim Summers <jsummers AT bachman.cs.ou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:55:50 -0600
Hello All,

It's been a while since I have had to seek advise here. I have been running amanda for many years now with little trouble. Everything has been running smoothly for quite a while now. Until yesterday. The backups never finished and when my scheduled amcheck ran I was alerted.

After going through some log files I was unable to determine where / what may have caused the hang.

It then did the same this morning. The backup server was sitting idle, amdump processes were there, not sure about taper or others. I went ahead and killed it off did an amcleanup and then amflush. Oddly enough amflush reported nothing to flush. The mail report I got from amcleanup simply showed 'results missing' for ALL dle's.

I tried to do it all again and pretty much the same result. Amcheck reports no problems.

Looking on the clients, I found no activity except on one gtar process on one DLE. That client also has amdumps and sendsize running. Using very little cpu.

So, I was wondering what logs I can look at to see where in the process the server is at? Maybe what it is waiting on? I always thought it would process multiple dle's at a time an not hang waiting on one?

Using Amanda-2.5.2p1 on the RHEL server.
I am using Amanda-2.5.2p1 through amanda-2.6.0p2 on the clients, RHEL or centos.

Ideas / Suggestions?

TIA
--
Jim Summers
School of Computer Science-University of Oklahoma