Amanda-Users

Re: 2.6.1alpha-20081121 oddity

2008-11-24 07:19:50
Subject: Re: 2.6.1alpha-20081121 oddity
From: Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 07:14:09 -0500
What are you extracting? If the DLE have hard link you must extract the complete DLE. gtar save the DLE only for the first file, this file must be extracted. You tried to extract './sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/hosts' but you didn't extracted './hosts'.

Which release of amrecover are you using?

Jean-Louis

Gene Heskett wrote:
Greetings;

I have not restarted the nightly amanda run yet, still fine tuning this new install.

amrecover finally decided to work for about 95% of the time, but I find its an exellent hard link finder, cuz tar can't deal with those and does an error exit:

./sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/hosts
tar: ./sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/hosts: Cannot hard link to `./hosts': No such file or directory
./sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth0
./sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/network
./sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/resolv.conf
tar: ./sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/resolv.conf: Cannot hard link to `./resolv.conf': No such file or directory
Extractor child exited with status 2
Extracting files using tape drive chg-disk on host coyote.
=====
this doesn't surprise me as I was extracting to /tmp, not /etc. But this next thing bothers me. Can it not get that -o info the /$config/amanda.conf?
=====
Load tape Dailys-13 now
Continue [?/Y/n/s/d]?
warning: restore program for APPLICATION not available.
amrecover couldn't exec: No such file or directory
 problem executing restore
Extractor child exited with status 1
Extracting files using tape drive chg-disk on host coyote.
Load tape Dailys-16 now
Continue [?/Y/n/s/d]?
warning: restore program for APPLICATION not available.
amrecover couldn't exec: No such file or directory
 problem executing restore
Extractor child exited with status 1
amrecover> exit
200 Good bye.

I would assume I would set the '-o amgtar' option on the cli, in which case the first extraction above would probably have failed, while the last 2 tapes would have been read ok instead of the error.

Comments Dustin? Have I uncovered a potential gotcha? These tapes straddle the time frame where I converted to using amgtar.