Amanda-Users

Re: Backing up autofs/NFS shares

2008-11-21 02:13:29
Subject: Re: Backing up autofs/NFS shares
From: Yogesh Hasabnis <yhmail29 AT yahoo.co DOT in>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 22:08:40 -0800 (PST)
Hello, Jon,

Thanks for going through my long email. And thanks a lot for the suggestions.

Regards,
Yogesh

Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 03:37:41AM -0800, Yogesh Hasabnis wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I referred the doc at http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/How_To:Backup_Partitions_Mounted_via_NFS
>
> I just need to confirm whether whatever I have understood from this doc is correct. What I understand is that I need to mount these nfs shares from 2 different servers on some Linux host on the network and modify the disklist of my amanda full backup configuration to include the new amanda client. For eg my disklist file would look like
>
> /vol/vol1/home {
> root-tar
> estimate calcsize
> }
> ## Above is the original config. Given below is the additonal config
> ## for backing up the nfs shares mounted on an nfs client
>
> /nfs/project1 {
> root-tar
> estimate calcsize
> }
> /nfs/project2 {
> root-tar
> estimate calcsize
> }
>
> ## end of disklist
>
> Would like to know whether my understanding is correct,whetehr this will work and whether all these DLEs can be backed up on a single tape media.

As far as I remember, that is it. I call them
"indirect" clients vs. "direct" clients that
have amanda software.

For about 2 years I had a diverse set of unix boxes to
backup, Solaris x86 & sparc, HP-UX, Tru-64, plus linux
systems. Not wanting to bother compiling all those
client amanda's, I NFS mounted them all on my x86
server and backed up /net//.

You can also do similar backups of smb/cifs mounts.

Two notes, you don't need to use a different direct
clients than your amanda server. And it might be
more network efficient to use the amanda server.
If a different direct client is used, the data
from the indirect client must travel twice over
the network, once to the direct client and then
to the server.

Anytime I start using the same definitions more
than once, I tend to make a new definition.

define dumptype calc-tar {
root-tar
estimate calcsize
}