Amanda-Users

Re: Backing up autofs/NFS shares

2008-11-20 14:51:48
Subject: Re: Backing up autofs/NFS shares
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:44:05 -0500
On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 03:37:41AM -0800, Yogesh Hasabnis wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>  I referred the doc at
> http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/How_To:Backup_Partitions_Mounted_via_NFS
>
>  I just need to confirm whether whatever I have understood from this doc is
> correct. What I understand is that I need to mount these nfs shares from 2
> different servers on some Linux host on the network and modify the disklist
> of my amanda full backup configuration to include the new amanda client. For
> eg my disklist file would look like
>
>  <amanda-client-1> /vol/vol1/home {
>          root-tar
>          estimate calcsize
>          }
>  ## Above is the original config. Given below is the additonal config
>  ## for backing up the nfs shares mounted on an nfs client
>
>  <amanda-client-2> /nfs/project1 {
>        root-tar
>        estimate calcsize
>        }
>  <amanda-client-2> /nfs/project2 {
>        root-tar
>        estimate calcsize
>        }
>
>  ## end of disklist
>
>  Would like to know whether my understanding is correct,whetehr this will
> work  and whether all these DLEs can be backed up on a single tape media.

As far as I remember, that is it.  I call them
"indirect" clients vs. "direct" clients that
have amanda software.

For about 2 years I had a diverse set of unix boxes to
backup, Solaris x86 & sparc, HP-UX, Tru-64, plus linux
systems.  Not wanting to bother compiling all those
client amanda's, I NFS mounted them all on my x86
server and backed up /net/<machine>/<start_directory>.

You can also do similar backups of smb/cifs mounts.

Two notes, you don't need to use a different direct
clients than your amanda server.  And it might be
more network efficient to use the amanda server.
If a different direct client is used, the data
from the indirect client must travel twice over
the network, once to the direct client and then
to the server.

Anytime I start using the same definitions more
than once, I tend to make a new definition.

define dumptype calc-tar {
        root-tar
        estimate calcsize
}

define dumptype calc-nfs {
        calc-tar
}

<amanda-client-1> /vol/vol1/home calc-tar
<amanda-client-2> /nfs/project1  nfs-tar
<amanda-client-2> /nfs/project2  nfs-tar

 JG Computing
 12027 Creekbend Drive          (703) 787-0884
 Reston, VA  20194              (703) 787-0922 (fax)