Amanda-Users

Backing up virtual machines

2008-11-20 14:56:18
Subject: Backing up virtual machines
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:51:24 -0500
Just dipping my toe into virtual machines and
wondering how others are doing backups of them.

I'm using VirtualBox with a host of Fedora 9.
My guest is WinXP Pro.  The objective is to
no longer need to dual-boot this machine.

The virtual guest does appear on my network as
a separate host and static IP when it is up.

I can see two ways to backup it up;

 - backup the VBox files (*.vdi and others) on
   the host Fedora file system

 - consider the virtual machine a separate host
   and amanda client

How have others dealt with this situation?
Or maybe both forms are used simultaneously?

jl
 JG Computing
 12027 Creekbend Drive          (703) 787-0884
 Reston, VA  20194              (703) 787-0922 (fax)