Amanda-Users

Backing up autofs/NFS shares

2008-11-20 08:30:05
Subject: Backing up autofs/NFS shares
From: Yogesh Hasabnis <yhmail29 AT yahoo.co DOT in>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 03:37:41 -0800 (PST)
Hi All,

I use amanda 2.5.0p2 for our backup requirements with RHEL3 Linux being the OS of the amanda server. Till now we have been backing up only one directory on our fileserver which contains the home directories- say /vol/vol1/home. More importantly, the backup client and the backup server are the same machine ie the amanda server backs up a directory on itself. We have been using daily incremental backups and monthly full backups using 2 different backup configurations - say backdaily and fullback respectively. Now I need to change the backup configuration of the monthly full backups such that it not only backs up /vol/vol1/home on this original amanda server/client machine but also the nfs shares of a netapp network storage device  and one other autofs/nfs Linux server.

I referred the doc at  http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/How_To:Backup_Partitions_Mounted_via_NFS

I just need to confirm whether whatever I have understood from this doc is correct. What I understand is that I need to mount these nfs shares from 2 different servers on some Linux host on the network and modify the disklist of my amanda full backup configuration to include the new amanda client. For eg my disklist file would look like

<amanda-client-1> /vol/vol1/home {
        root-tar
        estimate calcsize
        }
## Above is the original config. Given below is the additonal config
## for backing up the nfs shares mounted on an nfs client

<amanda-client-2> /nfs/project1 {
      root-tar
      estimate calcsize
      }
<amanda-client-2> /nfs/project2 {
      root-tar
      estimate calcsize
      }

## end of disklist

Would like to know whether my understanding is correct,whetehr this will work  and whether all these DLEs can be backed up on a single tape media.
Hope I have described my query clearly. Kindly advise.

Thanks in advance.
Yogesh