Amanda-Users

Re: Backing up virtual machines - Off topic question about LVM snapshots

2008-11-20 17:32:03
Subject: Re: Backing up virtual machines - Off topic question about LVM snapshots
From: "Marc Muehlfeld" <Marc.Muehlfeld AT medizinische-genetik DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 23:27:02 +0100 (CET)
Jon LaBadie schrieb:
>> Backing up the vdi's requires the machine be down.
>
> Why is this a requirement Michael?  Is it because the
> VDI is changing while being backed up?  Currently the
> VDI is not on a FS that can be snapshot'ted.  If it was,
> for example an LVM file system on Linux, would the VDI
> of a running virtual machine be suitable for backup if
> taken from a snapshot (snapshot from the FS, not VBox).

It's a off-topic question, but I just ask out of curiosity (don't know
much about LVM snapshots yet):

If I do a LVM snapshot of a running VM (or e.g. databases, too) and backup
it, what happens if I restore it later? The VDI was open while the backup
was done (and the information inside the VDI show this too, I guess). If I
start the VM after the restore, doesn't cause this problems? I guess
applications expect files with finalized written data (from the previous
shutdown) on startup.

Regards
Marc

--
Marc Muehlfeld (Leitung IT)
Zentrum fuer Humangenetik und Laboratoriumsmedizin Dr. Klein und Dr. Rost