Amanda-Users

Re: amanda, tar and new kernels again.

2008-11-06 19:48:21
Subject: Re: amanda, tar and new kernels again.
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 19:28:28 -0500
On Thursday 06 November 2008, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
>On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 5:59 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
wrote:
>> I just went back through my emails from amanda for the last several days,
>> and its appears that the device mapper has struck again by using volatile
>> numbers.   With 2.6.28-rc2, all the disks are now at a major device number
>> of 8, where they used to be 254.
>
>Recall from previous discussions that this has nothing to do with the
>kernel version, but is rather a conflict between the Linux kernel's
>device-number policy and the assumptions older versions of GNU Tar
>make.

Older? 1.17 is the default for an F8 install.  Are you saying that this has
finally been addressed, and that amanda can now tell tar to ignore that?

>> We need, as part of the footer where it says "Brought to you by version",
>> the uname -r output also, so we can more easily correlate amanda's upset
>> tummy with which kernel was running during the backup.
>>
>> Could this be added?
>
>Sounds like a great project.  Patches welcome!

Sorry, my patch foo ran away, I apparently left the door open. :)  I suspect
it is probably in the same hiding place my round tuit got off to about 10
years ago & hasn't been seen since.

I looked at reporter.c a couple of years ago looking for something else, and
promptly got lost on the outside of turn 1.  Never did find what I wanted to
fix in all that obfuscation.

>Dustin

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.
                -- Elbert Hubbard