Amanda-Users

Re: amanda, tar and new kernels again.

2008-11-06 17:11:10
Subject: Re: amanda, tar and new kernels again.
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Gene Heskett" <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 16:56:08 -0500
On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 5:59 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
wrote:
> I just went back through my emails from amanda for the last several days, and
> its appears that the device mapper has struck again by using volatile
> numbers.   With 2.6.28-rc2, all the disks are now at a major device number of
> 8, where they used to be 254.

Recall from previous discussions that this has nothing to do with the
kernel version, but is rather a conflict between the Linux kernel's
device-number policy and the assumptions older versions of GNU Tar
make.

> We need, as part of the footer where it says "Brought to you by version", the
> uname -r output also, so we can more easily correlate amanda's upset tummy
> with which kernel was running during the backup.
>
> Could this be added?

Sounds like a great project.  Patches welcome!

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer
http://www.zmanda.com