Amanda-Users

[Amanda-users] amcheckdump output - questions :)

2008-11-05 17:50:09
Subject: [Amanda-users] amcheckdump output - questions :)
From: rory_f <amanda-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 17:46:14 -0500

rory_f wrote:

> Paul Bijnens wrote:
> >
> > Indeed, use a changer and set "runtapes" to something greater than 1.
> > Amanda will write a tape until she hits End Of Tape (signaled by a write
> > error actually), and then move to a new tape. The whole backup image
> > will be restarted on the next tape.  (With using "tape_splitsize" you
> > avoid starting the whole image, but start only the last chunk again)
> >
> > When using a holdingdisk, the dumps are collected in the holdingdisk
> > unless the estimated backup image is larger than the holdingdisk.
> > When one complete backup image is finished, Amanda start to put it on tape.
> > Because many dumps can be collected simultaneously to holdingdisk,
> > several of them may be waiting to be written to tape.  If there are
> > several to choose from, then the "taperalgo" setting decides which one
> > will get tried first. A good setting is "largestfit" (see the wiki url
> > above).  If no backupimage that is ready will fit in the estimated
> > available tapespace, then amanda will try the smallest, which has
> > the largest chance of fitting in the unknown free space.
> >
> > The free space at the end of a tape is indeed unknown, because
> > tapes do not always have exactly the same length; and when using
> > software compression, the remaining space is even more uncertain,
> > because it depends on the compressability of the previous tape images.
>

> backup image, meaning DLE? so if it runs out of space, it will right, for
> instance, 35% of the DLE to the last bit of the tpae, then start again on the
> new tape, thus meaning all data, in teh end, will get written to tape.  and
> we can use amadmin <conf> find to see what tape the whole DLE was dumped to,
> right?
>
> we currently have our runtapes to 28. as that is what our library can hold.
>
> it all seems a lot clearer now. thanks

just as something more to this. last night i backed up what i thought was
~340gb. it was actually a lot more than that (3 tapes worth) - i did this for
DLEs:

site.com /array/sata-1/aaa/020 root-tar
site.com /array/sata-1/aaa/030 root-tar
site.com /array/sata-1/aaa/040 root-tar
site.com /array/sata-1/aaa/050 root-tar
site.com /array/sata-1/aaa/001 root-tar
site.com /array/sata-1/aaa/014 root-tar
site.com /array/sata-1/aaa/S020 root-tar
site.com /array/sata-1/aaa/S035 root-tar
site.com /array/sata-1/aaa/S039 root-tar
site.com /array/sata-1/aaa/S040 root-tar
site.com /array/sata-1/aaa/S045 root-tar

and it ended up being about 1.3tb, so it went onto 3 tapes. i got errors doing
amcheckdump but i succesfully restored files from the tapes.

two of the DLE's got 'PARTIAL' then 'OK" results in `amadmin tor find ` - so i
am to assume they worked.

am i missing anything?