Amanda-Users

[Amanda-users] amcheckdump output - questions :)

2008-11-05 15:27:29
Subject: [Amanda-users] amcheckdump output - questions :)
From: rory_f <amanda-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 15:24:30 -0500

Paul Bijnens wrote:
> On 2008-11-05 17:53, rory_f wrote:
>

> > Um, haha. its all on the same machine. i dont think thats the case.
> > Im actually finishing up a backing up a 6tb project right now using
> > tape_splitsize, and perhaps from now on i wont use it. we have a
> > system in place to breakdown folder sizes for our whole file system
> > here, so using just single tapes and doing root-tar whilst figuring
> > out tape capacities ourself isnt actually out of the question.
> >

> I'm not sure if I misunderstood you, just to be sure you understand me...
>
> These two concepts are orthogonal:
> - Amanda can use multiple tapes for one backup run.
> - Amanda can split one backup image over multiple tapes.
>
> It is only the second feature using the "tape_splitsize" parameter that makes
> restores more difficult.
> See: http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/How_To:Split_Dumps_Across_Tapes
>
> But instead of dumping one enourmous DLE in one backup image, you can use
> the include/exclude options with gnutar to split the DLE into smaller ones,
> each fitting on a tape.
> See: http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/How_To:Split_DLEs_With_Exclude_Lists
>
> Figuring out tapecapacity and optimizing tape usage is handled with the
> parameter "taperalgo largestfit", as explained here:
> http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/How_To:Fill_tapes_to_100%25
>
> --
> Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
> Technologielaan 21 bus 2, B-3001 Leuven, BELGIUM    Fax  +32 16 397.512
> http://www.xplanation.com/          email:  Paul.Bijnens < at > xplanation.com
> * I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *
> * F6, quit, ZZ, :q, :q!, M-Z, ^X^C, logoff, logout, close, bye, /bye, *
> * stop, end, F3, ~., ^]c, +++ ATH, disconnect, halt,  abort,  hangup, *
> * PF4, F20, ^X^X, :D::D, KJOB, F14-f-e, F8-e,  kill -1 $$,  shutdown, *
> * init 0, kill -9 1, Alt-F4, Ctrl-Alt-Del, AltGr-NumLock, Stop-A, ... *
> * ...  "Are you sure?"  ...   YES   ...   Phew ...   I'm out          *

ok,
smaller DLEs is fine. we have been doing this. i just thought using span was
the only way for amanda to intelligently change tapes when a tape got full.  we
use a changer script. is that all we need to ensure it will change tapes when a
tape gets full? for instance, we just want to make sure amanda will look at the
size of the next dump, and move onto a new tape if needed. right? we use a
holding disk also,  which im sure makes it easier for amanda to know when to
change tapes.

ultimately we want to setup the right DLEs, and archive a whole proejct, around
6tb at at time. no interaction in this process is key.