Amanda-Users

Re: Availability of Amanda Solaris10/Open Solaris package

2008-09-30 12:19:42
Subject: Re: Availability of Amanda Solaris10/Open Solaris package
From: Nick Smith <nick.smith AT techop DOT ch>
To: Paddy Sreenivasan <paddy AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 17:10:53 +0200

Paddy Sreenivasan wrote:
On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 8:17 AM, Nick Smith <nick.smith AT techop DOT ch> wrote:
Hi Paddy,

It's great that there is a packaged version of Amanda again.

Why are you installing it /usr/libexec/*, /usr/bin & /var/lib/amanda?

I tried to keep the same location as Linux versions. See
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Amanda_packages_from_Zmanda_downloads_page

I don't mean to be a troll but there are many standard (sic) places to place
third party software on Solaris such as /usr/sfw, /opt/csw, /usr/local. I
know of several sysadmins who would refuse to install the package on the
grounds of lack of separation of OS and third-part apps.

If there is standard location for Solaris, please let us know. We
would be happy to incorporate it.

/usr/local - Sunfreeware -> old deprecated BSD structure but still functional
/opt/csw - Blastwave / OpenCSW packages
/opt/sun - SUN applications
/opt - mix of SUN and third-party apps (like Collabnet stuff)

I understand your wish to keep the same directory structures as Linux but I have the following reservations about this issue.

1. Solaris Admins aren't used (or normally) happy about anything getting installed into /usr/*. Solaris isn't Linux and most Sys Admins either use only one of the OSs or then are likely to understand that differences between the installation structures are necessary.

2. The Amanda packages depend on CSW* packages in /opt - a horrible reverse dependency in my opinion.

3. The standard OpenSolaris (ZFS) install provides a /opt filesystem specifically for third-party software such as Amanda. This filesystem is guaranteed to be unaffected by BE updates (*probably* wouldn't affect Amanda anyway but you never know...)

4. On machines with virtual machines maybe Admins would want to share the /opt filesystem between all the VMs and therefore would have only to update Amanda once on the Dom0 (except for refreshing the amanda service etc). Can anyone comment as my knowledge of VM administration is slight.

My *personal* suggestion would be to use /opt/amanda/*, /etc/opt/amanda and /var/opt/amanda.

Please understands these are just my views and suggestions.

What would other users of Solaris think about this? The more comments the better!

Does anyone know what *Sun* recommends? Personally I'd go for
/opt/<something>/*, /var/opt/amanda/*, /etc/opt/amanda but that's a
*personal* preference before somebody flames me ;-)

Regards,

Nick

p.s. I've also been playing with creating Solaris packages for 2.6.0.pX  and
have made some progress with getting clean installs of SMF manifests. Let me
know if you like me to contribute them.

Please feel free to send them to me. We will include it and recognize
you as the contributor in
the changelog file.

thanks,
Paddy