Amanda-Users

Re: Availability of Amanda Solaris10/Open Solaris package

2008-09-16 12:25:23
Subject: Re: Availability of Amanda Solaris10/Open Solaris package
From: Nick Smith <nick.smith AT techop DOT ch>
To: Paddy Sreenivasan <paddy AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 17:17:53 +0200
Hi Paddy,

It's great that there is a packaged version of Amanda again.

Why are you installing it /usr/libexec/*, /usr/bin & /var/lib/amanda?

I don't mean to be a troll but there are many standard (sic) places to place third party software on Solaris such as /usr/sfw, /opt/csw, /usr/local. I know of several sysadmins who would refuse to install the package on the grounds of lack of separation of OS and third-part apps.

Does anyone know what *Sun* recommends? Personally I'd go for /opt/<something>/*, /var/opt/amanda/*, /etc/opt/amanda but that's a *personal* preference before somebody flames me ;-)

Regards,

Nick

p.s. I've also been playing with creating Solaris packages for 2.6.0.pX and have made some progress with getting clean installs of SMF manifests. Let me know if you like me to contribute them.

Paddy Sreenivasan wrote:
Solaris package for recent release of Amanda, 2.6.0p2 is available for
download at
http://www.zmanda.com/download-amanda.php

Documentation is available at http://wiki.zmanda.com

thanks,