Amanda-Users

Re: Availability of Amanda Solaris10/Open Solaris package

2008-09-16 14:44:03
Subject: Re: Availability of Amanda Solaris10/Open Solaris package
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: AMANDA users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 14:24:51 -0400

Paddy Sreenivasan wrote:
On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 8:17 AM, Nick Smith <nick.smith AT techop DOT ch> wrote:
Hi Paddy,

It's great that there is a packaged version of Amanda again.

Why are you installing it /usr/libexec/*, /usr/bin & /var/lib/amanda?

I tried to keep the same location as Linux versions. See
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Amanda_packages_from_Zmanda_downloads_page
I don't mean to be a troll but there are many standard (sic) places to place
third party software on Solaris such as /usr/sfw, /opt/csw, /usr/local. I
know of several sysadmins who would refuse to install the package on the
grounds of lack of separation of OS and third-part apps.

If there is standard location for Solaris, please let us know. We
would be happy to incorporate it.
Does anyone know what *Sun* recommends? Personally I'd go for
/opt/<something>/*, /var/opt/amanda/*, /etc/opt/amanda but that's a
*personal* preference before somebody flames me ;-)

Unfortunately, it isn't very standardized for third party software.

I prefer to stay away from /opt/sfw, because that's where stuff that Sun chose to include in the Solaris 10 install goes. Patches from Sun also apply to those.

Sunfreeware, which I have used a fair bit, tends to go almost entirely with /usr/local, putting things in /usr/local/(bin, doc, info, lib, man, share and so on).

I've tended to follow Sunfreeware's precedence when I build my own stuff. Then I can use LD_LIBRARY_PATH, PATH, and crle to control how things get accessed. By putting /usr/local/lib in front of /usr/sfw/lib, I get the things I've added as a preference, but still fall back to what Sun did if I didn't "over-ride" it. In Solaris 10 with the new T2 based servers such as the T5220, this is particularly critical. Sun has provided a tie-in from their version of openssl to the on chip cryptographic accelerators. Anything that is built pointing to their libraries will get that speed boost (Apache, sendmail, Amanda). If I tried to build that portion myself, I would either have to know a lot more about the low level configuration or I would lose that acceleration. I'm also playing with gccfss from Sun, which is optimized specifically for the T2 based systems.

I should have feedback to the list soon about Amanda in this build environment.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator
(*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center