Amanda-Users

Re: Dumps cannot be retrieved from tape...

2008-09-23 21:44:04
Subject: Re: Dumps cannot be retrieved from tape...
From: Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Dan Brown <monkeypants AT shaw DOT ca>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 20:50:00 -0400
amrecover require a level 0 to still exist to works.
You have no level 0 dump of the disk (according to amadmin), it is very dangerous, it is impossible for amanda to restore the complete disk.

I'm surprised amrecover show you the level 2 dump that are on holding disk, it should not.

Jean-Louis

Dan Brown wrote:

Chris Hoogendyk wrote:
> > First, it should work. amrecover should get things off the holding disk > > or off tape as appropriate. When you say "came to realize", I think we > > need some more detail on what you mean by that. What errors did you get? > > How did you try? Did you use setdate to get the file you wanted from a
> > particular backup?

Here's what I see when I use amrecover.

[root@ministryofinformation __designmac_design_resources_]# amrecover Macs could not open conf file "/etc//amanda/amanda-client.conf": No such file or
directory
AMRECOVER Version 2.6.0p1. Contacting server on ministryofinformation ...
220 ministryofinformation AMANDA index server (2.5.2p1) ready.
Setting restore date to today (2008-09-23)
200 Working date set to 2008-09-23.
200 Config set to Macs.
200 Dump host set to ministryofinformation.
Use the setdisk command to choose dump disk to recover
amrecover> setdisk //designmac/design_resources/
200 Disk set to //designmac/design_resources/.
amrecover> setdate ---16
200 Working date set to 2008-09-16.
No index records for cwd on new date
Setting cwd to mount point
amrecover>

It does this for anything before 2008-09-19, which is for when I still
have backups still waiting in the holding disk. The file I want is from the
16th however.

> > Did you try "history" in amrecover to see what it
> > thought you had after you had sethost and setdisk? Did you sethost to
> > where the samba share was mounted and backed up from? As opposed to the
> > machine it originated on?

The backup server is the "ministryofinformation" (Brazil reference), hence
all
samba shares on Mac OS X clients are backed up from being mounted by the
server.

ministryofinformation   //designmac/design_resource_archive/    user-tar
ministryofinformation   //designmac/design_resources/           user-tar

A history command shows the following:

amrecover> setdisk //designmac/design_resources/
200 Disk set to //designmac/design_resources/.
amrecover> history
200- Dump history for config "Macs" host "ministryofinformation" disk
//designmac/design_resources/
201- 2008-09-22-10-45-01 2
/dumps/holding-mac/20080922104501/ministryofinformation.__designmac_design_r
esources_.2:0
201- 2008-09-21-10-45-01 2
/dumps/holding-mac/20080921104501/ministryofinformation.__designmac_design_r
esources_.2:0
201- 2008-09-20-10-45-01 2
/dumps/holding-mac/20080920104501/ministryofinformation.__designmac_design_r
esources_.2:0
201- 2008-09-19-10-45-01 2
/dumps/holding-mac/20080919104501/ministryofinformation.__designmac_design_r
esources_.2:0