Amanda-Users

Re: Dumps cannot be retrieved from tape...

2008-09-23 12:48:55
Subject: Re: Dumps cannot be retrieved from tape...
From: Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Dan Brown <monkeypants AT shaw DOT ca>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 11:56:21 -0400
Do 'amadmin <config> find' list the dump you want to restore?
What error do you get from amrecover? "no longer accessible" is not helpful to find the problem.
Which amanda release are you using?

You can try to use amrestore on the server.

Jean-Louis

Dan Brown wrote:
Hi,

I've got a backup set for a bunch of Mac OS X users who are backed up on a daily basis via Samba shares. Backups are first backed up to holding disk, then dumped to tape once I've got enough to fill an LTO3 tape. The other day I was asked to restore a file which had ended up going on to tape (just a day or two ago).

I came to realize that all backups which have been flushed to tape, are no longer accessible via amrecover. Backups which are still on the holding disk can be accessed. This appears to be a samba share backup specific problem as a near identical setup with a number of Linux servers (although using the server client) does not have this problem. There was one samba share backup in that profile up until a month or so ago but I've never had to restore anything for it. I know it's there because the index exists for it but the index->tape association
doesn't appear to have occured.

So I've got two questions:
1. How do I fix my config (I assume it's a config problem) so that files can be retrieved from tape for this profile
(otherwise I might as well set my tape device to be /dev/null)?

2. How do I retrieve my file off of tape not using amrecover?

-----
Dan Brown
monkeypants AT shaw DOT ca