Amanda-Users

Re: Dumps cannot be retrieved from tape...

2008-09-23 14:49:54
Subject: Re: Dumps cannot be retrieved from tape...
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Dan Brown <monkeypants AT shaw DOT ca>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 14:42:41 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 at 12:30pm, Dan Brown wrote

amrestore doesn't have the sort of granularity I'd like but the shotgun approach works as well as a pinpoint approach. I was hoping I wouldn't have to restore 178GB of data for a 10MB file.

The granularity of amrestore actually depends on the granularity of your disklist. When you're using tar as your dumper (and, with smb, you are), you *have* to read the whole tape file. (Note that this may also be the case with dump images -- I just haven't used dump in a long while). That's just how tar works. So if the DLE you need that 10MB file from is 178GB in size, then, yeah, you're going to read the whole thing.

OTOH, as was pointed out, you *can* use amadmin to make sure you're only reading the 1 or 2 tape files you need.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin