Amanda-Users

Dumps cannot be retrieved from tape...

2008-09-23 11:47:15
Subject: Dumps cannot be retrieved from tape...
From: Dan Brown <monkeypants AT shaw DOT ca>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 09:37:22 -0600
Hi,

I've got a backup set for a bunch of Mac OS X users who are backed up on a
daily basis via Samba shares.
Backups are first backed up to holding disk, then dumped to tape once I've got
enough to fill an LTO3 tape.
The other day I was asked to restore a file which had ended up going on to tape
(just a day or two ago).

I came to realize that all backups which have been flushed to tape, are no
longer accessible via amrecover.
Backups which are still on the holding disk can be accessed.  This appears to
be a samba share backup specific
problem as a near identical setup with a number of Linux servers (although
using the server client) does not
have this problem.  There was one samba share backup in that profile up until a
month or so ago but I've never
had to restore anything for it.  I know it's there because the index exists for it
but the index->tape association
doesn't appear to have occured.

So I've got two questions:
1. How do I fix my config (I assume it's a config problem) so that files can be
retrieved from tape for this profile
(otherwise I might as well set my tape device to be /dev/null)?

2. How do I retrieve my file off of tape not using amrecover?

-----
Dan Brown
monkeypants AT shaw DOT ca