Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda 2.6.0 spanning

2008-06-23 08:25:32
Subject: Re: Amanda 2.6.0 spanning
From: Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Johan Booysen <johan AT matrix-data.co DOT uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 14:21:00 +0200
On 2008-06-23 13:43, Johan Booysen wrote:
Is there anyone who is actually using chg-manual for their Amanda setup,
who would be willing to give me an example of their config files, such
as amanda.conf and changer.conf (changerfile parameter)?

Can't help with chg-manual, but...

I avoid the use of chg-manual by having a large holdingdisk (4 disks
500GB each in raid5).
I set "maxdumpsize" to a value large enough to dump what is needed
in the run (800 Gbyte currently).

For my archive run (full dumps only on weekends), I have two LTO2
tapedrives (using chg-multi to emulate a changer with 2 tapes), but
the total backup volume now spans 5 tapes.

The first two tapes are written during the normal dump during
the weekend.
On monday morning I insert the next two tapes, and run amflush.
Somewhere early afternoon, I get a mail from amanda saying still
some files are left on holdingdisk, so I insert the next tape
and run amflush once again for last bits.

Works good enough for me.
And does not need manual intervention DURING a backup, like chg-manual
does.
I prefer having 2 tapedrives, instead of one (usually expensive)
changer.  That way i'm not completely blocked when a tapedrive needs
repair.

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *