Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda 2.5.0 spanning

2008-05-30 07:29:30
Subject: Re: Amanda 2.5.0 spanning
From: Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Johan Booysen <johan AT matrix-data.co DOT uk>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 07:23:06 -0400
Everything look good.
But it doesn't explain why amanda rejected those tape, the email report will tell you why. I'm not sure if the error is already written to the log file, but you can check them: (amdump or amdump.1) or (log or log.TIMESTAMP.*).

btw, why are you installing an old amanda version?

Jean-Louis

Johan Booysen wrote:
Yesterday I did a test run using Amanda 2.5.0 - just backing up a single
DLE, and all seemed well.  So last night I ran my first test to see how
Amanda 2.5.0  handles spanning across multiple tapes.  This morning,
tape daily-3 was ejected, amstatus looked OK, and I inserted the next
tape (daily-4).  However, the  tape drive thinks about it for a while
and then spits out the tape.  I thought it may be the tape itself, so
tried daily-5 eventually, but with the same  result (I'm pretty sure the
tapes are good).

I'm using a single-slot HP StorageWorks SDLT320 tape drive, so I have a
feeling that somewhere there's a problem with using it as if it has
multiple slots.

In amanda.conf, I've got the following entries - the rest are pretty
much standard:

runtapes 2
tpchanger "chg-manual"
tapedev "/dev/nst0"
changerfile "/etc/amanda/daily/changer.conf"
changerdev "/dev/null"
chunksize 1Gb
tape_splitsize 1Gb

In /etc/amanda/daily:

changer.conf is an empty file, created manually (by me)
changer.conf-access contains a value of 9
changer.conf-clean contains a value of 9
changer.conf-slot contains a value of 8

I've had a look a the logs, but don't know what the make of them:

amindexd.20080529170749.debug shows no errors.

amcheck.20080529172331.debug contains the following, and succeeds:

changer: got exit: 0 str: 2 99 1
changer_query: changer return was 99 1
changer_query: searchable = 0
changer_find: looking for NULL changer is searchable = 0
changer: got exit: 0 str: 2 /dev/nst0

changer.debug contains:

First attempt to insert next tape (daily-4)

/dev/nst0 status: ONLINE BOT
     -> loaded </dev/nst0 status: ONLINE BOT>
AMANDA: TAPESTART DATE X TAPE daily-4
014
1+0 in
1+0 out
Exit -> 3 /dev/nst0
MT -> /usr/sbin/ammt -f
DD -> /usr/sbin/amdd
Args -> -slot next
     -> rewind /dev/nst0
     -> status /dev/nst0
/dev/nst0 status: ONLINE BOT
     -> loaded </dev/nst0 status: ONLINE BOT>
     -> offline /dev/nst0
     -> load   4
     -> rewind /dev/nst0
/dev/nst0 rewind failed: Input/output error
     -> status /dev/nst0
/dev/nst0 status failed: Input/output error
     -> loaded <>
     -> rewind /dev/nst0
/dev/nst0 rewind failed: Input/output error
     -> status /dev/nst0

Second attempt to insert next tape (daily-4)

/dev/nst0 status: ONLINE BOT
     -> loaded </dev/nst0 status: ONLINE BOT>
AMANDA: TAPESTART DATE X TAPE daily-4
014
1+0 in
1+0 out
Exit -> 4 /dev/nst0
MT -> /usr/sbin/ammt -f
DD -> /usr/sbin/amdd
Args -> -slot next
     -> rewind /dev/nst0
     -> status /dev/nst0
/dev/nst0 status: ONLINE BOT
     -> loaded </dev/nst0 status: ONLINE BOT>
     -> offline /dev/nst0
     -> load   5
     -> rewind /dev/nst0

Would appreciate any advice.  I've read through
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Amanda.conf and
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Splitting_dumps_across_tapes, but may
be missing something somewhere.

Thanks, as always.