Amanda-Users

Amanda 2.5.0 spanning

2008-05-30 05:37:57
Subject: Amanda 2.5.0 spanning
From: "Johan Booysen" <johan AT matrix-data.co DOT uk>
To: "Amanda user's group" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 10:24:12 +0100
Yesterday I did a test run using Amanda 2.5.0 - just backing up a single
DLE, and all seemed well.  So last night I ran my first test to see how
Amanda 2.5.0  handles spanning across multiple tapes.  This morning,
tape daily-3 was ejected, amstatus looked OK, and I inserted the next
tape (daily-4).  However, the  tape drive thinks about it for a while
and then spits out the tape.  I thought it may be the tape itself, so
tried daily-5 eventually, but with the same  result (I'm pretty sure the
tapes are good).

I'm using a single-slot HP StorageWorks SDLT320 tape drive, so I have a
feeling that somewhere there's a problem with using it as if it has
multiple slots.

In amanda.conf, I've got the following entries - the rest are pretty
much standard:

runtapes 2
tpchanger "chg-manual"
tapedev "/dev/nst0"
changerfile "/etc/amanda/daily/changer.conf"
changerdev "/dev/null"
chunksize 1Gb
tape_splitsize 1Gb

In /etc/amanda/daily:

changer.conf is an empty file, created manually (by me)
changer.conf-access contains a value of 9
changer.conf-clean contains a value of 9
changer.conf-slot contains a value of 8

I've had a look a the logs, but don't know what the make of them:

amindexd.20080529170749.debug shows no errors.

amcheck.20080529172331.debug contains the following, and succeeds:

changer: got exit: 0 str: 2 99 1
changer_query: changer return was 99 1
changer_query: searchable = 0
changer_find: looking for NULL changer is searchable = 0
changer: got exit: 0 str: 2 /dev/nst0

changer.debug contains:

>>> First attempt to insert next tape (daily-4)

/dev/nst0 status: ONLINE BOT
     -> loaded </dev/nst0 status: ONLINE BOT>
AMANDA: TAPESTART DATE X TAPE daily-4
014
1+0 in
1+0 out
Exit -> 3 /dev/nst0
MT -> /usr/sbin/ammt -f
DD -> /usr/sbin/amdd
Args -> -slot next
     -> rewind /dev/nst0
     -> status /dev/nst0
/dev/nst0 status: ONLINE BOT
     -> loaded </dev/nst0 status: ONLINE BOT>
     -> offline /dev/nst0
     -> load   4
     -> rewind /dev/nst0
/dev/nst0 rewind failed: Input/output error
     -> status /dev/nst0
/dev/nst0 status failed: Input/output error
     -> loaded <>
     -> rewind /dev/nst0
/dev/nst0 rewind failed: Input/output error
     -> status /dev/nst0

>>> Second attempt to insert next tape (daily-4)

/dev/nst0 status: ONLINE BOT
     -> loaded </dev/nst0 status: ONLINE BOT>
AMANDA: TAPESTART DATE X TAPE daily-4
014
1+0 in
1+0 out
Exit -> 4 /dev/nst0
MT -> /usr/sbin/ammt -f
DD -> /usr/sbin/amdd
Args -> -slot next
     -> rewind /dev/nst0
     -> status /dev/nst0
/dev/nst0 status: ONLINE BOT
     -> loaded </dev/nst0 status: ONLINE BOT>
     -> offline /dev/nst0
     -> load   5
     -> rewind /dev/nst0

Would appreciate any advice.  I've read through
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Amanda.conf and
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Splitting_dumps_across_tapes, but may
be missing something somewhere.

Thanks, as always.