Amanda-Users

Re: trouble with AIX clients and Linux server

2008-05-22 15:32:14
Subject: Re: trouble with AIX clients and Linux server
From: "Freels, James D." <freelsjd AT ornl DOT gov>
To: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 15:26:04 -0400
We took a look at uustat and the only locked files were some batch jobs
we had running.  In addition, we have rebooted while trying to debug
this, and have only run amanda after the reboot while debugging.  So, if
there is something else locking /etc/amandates, what would it be beside
AMANDA ?

We are focused on gnutar (this is why we are running 1.20 of gtar) and
thinking that there are some unique features of tar that are not
allowing us to lock/unlock as usual with amanda.  We have run amanda
with these two AIX boxes where they were the only machines in the backup
scheme.  Under AIX alone, it uses dump to backup.  But since we are
trying to mix linux as server and aix as client now, we were thinking
that we needed to use gnutar for everything.

since we compile gnutar from the source under AIX, perhaps there are
some unique settings in the configuration that we need to set ?
Presently, it is out of the box, and we run "./configure" before the
make.

On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 12:38 -0400, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Freels, James D. <freelsjd AT ornl DOT gov>
> wrote:
> > /--  aixclient hd3 lev 0 FAILED [missing size line from sendbackup]
> > sendbackup: start [aixclient:hd3 level 0]
> > sendbackup: info BACKUP=/usr/bin/gtar
> > sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/usr/bin/gtar -f... -
> > sendbackup: info end
> > | gtar: ./.X11-unix/X0: socket ignored
> > | Total bytes written: 1730560 (1.7MiB, 830KiB/s)
> > ??sendbackup: could not unlock /etc/amandates: Bad file number
> > ? dumper: strange [missing size line from sendbackup]
> > \--------
> >
> > In trying to get this working, we have left the /etc/amandates file on
> > the AIX client completely unprotected
> >
> > -rwxrwxrwx   1 amanda   system         1216 May 19 15:43 /etc/amandates
> >
> > We are puzzled as to how to fix this problem and would appreciate any
> > and all helpful information.
>
> Is there a way to examine outstanding filesystem locks on AIX, to see
> if there is a process holding a lock on this file?
>
> Dustin

James D. Freels, Ph.D.
Senior Research Staff
High Flux Isotope Reactor