Amanda-Users

[OT] Re: vacation programs seem problematic on this list

2007-12-29 08:46:06
Subject: [OT] Re: vacation programs seem problematic on this list
From: Francis Galiegue <fg AT one2team DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 14:39:38 +0100
Le Friday 28 December 2007 20:12:58 Greg Troxel, vous avez écrit :
> Every time I post to an amanda list, I get several notices that people
> are on vacation.  This is in violation of RFC 3834:
>
>   http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3834
>
> The problem seems much worse on this list compared to others (perhaps
> the same on -hackers), almost to the point where I am disinclined to
> reply to people's questions, except that I don't post often enough to
> remember this the next time.  I'm curious if others are having this
> problem, and whether a policy of summarily unsubscribing people with
> misconfigured mail systems is in order.

One problem is that not every mailing list management program agrees on what
headers should be defined that identify a message as being sent to a mailing
list. Some use X-Mailing-List, some others use Precedence, some others use
Sender (amanda-users is one of them), etc etc. Mailing list handling is not
enforced by an RFC.

I've been asked to implement an automatic mail response system at my company
but refused to do so: I couldn't reliably identify bulk messages (mailing
lists) from others reliably. I subscribe to three different mailing lists,
each of which have a different idea of how to announce themselves as being
mailing lists. Heh.

--
Francis Galiegue, fg AT one2team DOT com - Ingénieur système
[ATTENTION : CHANGEMENT DE COORDONNÉES !]