Amanda-Users

Re: vacation programs seem problematic on this list

2007-12-28 15:02:11
Subject: Re: vacation programs seem problematic on this list
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <sgw AT amanda DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 20:54:28 +0100
Greg Troxel schrieb:
> Every time I post to an amanda list, I get several notices that people
> are on vacation.  This is in violation of RFC 3834:
>
>   http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3834
>
> The problem seems much worse on this list compared to others (perhaps
> the same on -hackers), almost to the point where I am disinclined to
> reply to people's questions, except that I don't post often enough to
> remember this the next time.

Same here.

> I'm curious if others are having this
> problem,

Yep, I do.

> and whether a policy of summarily unsubscribing people with
> misconfigured mail systems is in order.

Worth a thought, yes. The unsubscription could contain a message
pointing them at the RFC and explain the reason for unsubscribing them.

But remember: We would need someone who tracks this ... and actually
triggers the unsubscribing. This would have to be a mailing-list-admin,
and I am not so sure if Todd is looking for new duties ;-)

Stefan