Amanda-Users

Re: Reusing a tape

2007-12-05 17:01:18
Subject: Re: Reusing a tape
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 22:55:48 +0100

Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
Yogesh Hasabnis schrieb:

I would like to use the same tape again. What do I need to do to
get this done (ie to use the same tape again)?

Did I understand you right: You backuped your clients and one DLE failed.
And now you want to rerun the complete set on the same tape? In this case
you can relabel your tape

amlabel -f {Set} FULLBACK-10

Amanda ll tread the tape as new. But make sure that your really want to
overwrite the tape. You ll lose the backup of that day.

I usually do:  (actually I avoid it, but anyway, if really needed)
First inform amanda that this tape is no longer valid:

   amrmtape theconfig FULLBACK-10

Now amanda will clear the indexes etc, but also adjust the bookkeeping
of what levels were successfully backed up.  If you omit this, then
amanda will e.g. plan a level 2, based on the level 1 DLE that did not
had errors, but was stored on that tape.

Then label it again, using the "-f" flag:

   amlabel -f theconfig FULLBACK-10