Amanda-Users

Re: error in backup amanda

2007-12-05 16:47:36
Subject: Re: error in backup amanda
From: Charles Stroom <charles AT stremen.xs4all DOT nl>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 22:39:24 +0100
On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 13:18:37 -0500
Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 01:36:15PM +0100, Charles Stroom wrote:
> > Greeting,
> >
> > since a number of days Amanda reports:
> > "
> > FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
> >   fiume.localnet  /  lev 0  STRANGE
> > "
> >
> > The details given below in the backup report are:
> > "
> > FAILED AND STRANGE DUMP DETAILS:
> >
> > /--  fiume.localnet / lev 0 STRANGE
> > sendbackup: start [fiume.localnet:/ level 0]
> > sendbackup: info BACKUP=/bin/tar
> > sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/usr/bin/gzip -dc |/bin/tar -xpGf - ...
> > sendbackup: info COMPRESS_SUFFIX=.gz
> > sendbackup: info end
> > ?
> > gtar:
> > ./etc/amanda/daily/index/stremen.localnet/_srv/20071201110501_0.gz.tmp:
> > Warning: Cannot stat: No such file or directory | Total bytes
> > written: 203837440 (195MiB, 7.5MiB/s) sendbackup: size 199060
> > sendbackup: end "
> >

> > Indeed, that file 20071201110501_0.gz.tmp does not exist,although
> > a file with the same name without the .tmp extension
> > does exist in /etc/amanda/daily/index/stremen.localnet/_srv/ and
> > also seems to be correct (it contains the list of files to be
> > backed up).
> > "fiume" is a client PC, the 2 other DLE's on fiume do not give
> > errors.
> >
> > Is this something to worry about, or can I ignore this?
>
> You are backing up the directory tree that contains the
> amanda logs and indexes.  This is a difficult thing.  How
> does one get a clean backup of something that is actively
> changing while it is being backed up?
>
> The actual message you see arises because of the two step
> nature of the backup.  First a list of files that need to
> be backed up is created, then in a second step they are
> actually backed up.  What you are seeing is a file has
> disappeared between the two steps.  And probably a new
> one (with out the .tmp extension) appeared that was not
> there during the first step of creating the list.
>
> You will also see similar messages of the form "file
> changed as we were backing it up".
>
> So you need to ask yourself several questions:
>
> - how important is a file named xxx.tmp
> - how important is a file that existed only for a brief time
> - how annoying are the messages
> - how much work is it to avoid the messages
>
> Ways to avoid them:
>
> - tell amanda those are "normal" messages but you
>   will then miss them when a real problem occurs
> - create an exclude that eliminates *.tmp files
> - find a way to create a read-only file system and
>   back that up rather than the live read/write one
> - find an alternative to backing up the amanda tree

Thanks, you answered my question.  I was not sure whether the message
only related to the fact that one particular file
(20071201110501_0.gz.tmp) was not existing or that that this file was
essential to get a correct backup of other files.  So, messages ignored!

Regards,

--
Charles Stroom
email: charles at no-spam.stremen.xs4all.nl (remove the "no-spam.")