Amanda-Users

Re: error in backup amanda

2007-12-05 13:26:27
Subject: Re: error in backup amanda
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 13:18:37 -0500
On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 01:36:15PM +0100, Charles Stroom wrote:
> Greeting,
>
> since a number of days Amanda reports:
> "
> FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>   fiume.localnet  /  lev 0  STRANGE
> "
>
> The details given below in the backup report are:
> "
> FAILED AND STRANGE DUMP DETAILS:
>
> /--  fiume.localnet / lev 0 STRANGE
> sendbackup: start [fiume.localnet:/ level 0]
> sendbackup: info BACKUP=/bin/tar
> sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/usr/bin/gzip -dc |/bin/tar -xpGf - ...
> sendbackup: info COMPRESS_SUFFIX=.gz
> sendbackup: info end
> ? gtar:
> ./etc/amanda/daily/index/stremen.localnet/_srv/20071201110501_0.gz.tmp:
> Warning: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
> | Total bytes written: 203837440 (195MiB, 7.5MiB/s)
> sendbackup: size 199060
> sendbackup: end
> "
>

> Indeed, that file 20071201110501_0.gz.tmp does not exist,although
> a file with the same name without the .tmp extension
> does exist in /etc/amanda/daily/index/stremen.localnet/_srv/ and
> also seems to be correct (it contains the list of files to be
> backed up).
> "fiume" is a client PC, the 2 other DLE's on fiume do not give errors.
>
> Is this something to worry about, or can I ignore this?

You are backing up the directory tree that contains the
amanda logs and indexes.  This is a difficult thing.  How
does one get a clean backup of something that is actively
changing while it is being backed up?

The actual message you see arises because of the two step
nature of the backup.  First a list of files that need to
be backed up is created, then in a second step they are
actually backed up.  What you are seeing is a file has
disappeared between the two steps.  And probably a new
one (with out the .tmp extension) appeared that was not
there during the first step of creating the list.

You will also see similar messages of the form "file
changed as we were backing it up".

So you need to ask yourself several questions:

- how important is a file named xxx.tmp
- how important is a file that existed only for a brief time
- how annoying are the messages
- how much work is it to avoid the messages

Ways to avoid them:

- tell amanda those are "normal" messages but you
  will then miss them when a real problem occurs
- create an exclude that eliminates *.tmp files
- find a way to create a read-only file system and
  back that up rather than the live read/write one
- find an alternative to backing up the amanda tree

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)