Amanda-Users

Re: Restrict access in a multiuser environment

2007-11-07 10:43:58
Subject: Re: Restrict access in a multiuser environment
From: Philipp Geschke <zmanda AT pgmail DOT net>
To: Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 16:36:37 +0100
Paul, thank you for your answer!

Paul Bijnens schrieb:

> On 2007-11-02 14:45, Philipp Geschke wrote:
>>
>> I want to set up amanda in an unsecure multiuser environment.
>> I want every user (maschine) to have access to their own backup only.
>> But what happens right now is, as soon as a host is authenticated, it
>> needs only to know the configurations name and the name of the host he
>> wants the backup from, and it can access what ever it wants using the
>> sethost command in amrecover (eg. amrecover -C test  >> sethost
>> test.testdomain.local).
>>
>> So, basically my question comes down to this:
>> Does amanda support something like an acl to limit one host to one
>> backup instead of opening all backups to any host that is allowed to
>> connect to the index and tapeserver?
>

> What I would do is to edit the .amandahost on the server
> and do not allow any host to restore anything.  And when someone needs
> to restore something, then temporarily add an entry for that host.
> And tell the user that you will monitor his restore actions (you
> can find those in the amanda-debug dir on the server).
> When finished, disallow access again, by editing the .amandahosts
> file on the server.
>
> Not perfect, but you wouldn't expect to automate security in a
> non-secure environment, do you?

Nah, I wouldn't. I was just wondering if there's really no kind of
security for the backups as soon as your host is generally allowed to
connect to amindexd and amidxtaped, because I see the need also for a
secure environment.

I can't see a company with a closed private network want the small post
office guy to restore the CEO's /home backup on his machine.

Your suggestions is an option that's worth considering, as a couple
others are that I came up with already, but unfortunately I'm kinda
looking for the 100 percent solution.

Cheers,
Philipp