Amanda-Users

Re: Still having connection problems

2007-10-24 22:39:06
Subject: Re: Still having connection problems
From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse AT fmp DOT com>
To: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 21:31:43 -0500
On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 21:18 -0500, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
> On 10/24/07, Lindsay Haisley <fmouse AT fmp DOT com> wrote:
> > Is there any way to turn off or bypass security on the amanda server
> > altogether until I get the problem solved?  Is there some other setting
> > I need to muck with or some diagnostic I can run to help debug this?
>
> You might want to try ssh authentication.  I may be unusual here, but
> I find the bsd* auth mechanisms to be totally archaic, and they
> probably account for 60% of the support burden on this list.

Actually, after working the better part of the day on the problem, I did
exactly that, and now amanda works just fine to the problem server at
the other end of the VPN :-)  BSD auth seems to work OK to older
clients.

> SSH auth is nice because you can pretty much test it with good 'ol
> "ssh".

Yep!  There are a couple of gotchas on ssh public-key authentication,
such as having the proper perms on the ~/.ssh directory, etc. but I've
been down that road and know how to make it work.

>   And it only uses one port, which makes firewalling a bit
> easier.

The VPN should pass all traffic with no problems, so if I run amanda
through the VPN there are no firewall problems :-)

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Fighting against human |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |    creativity is like   |      available at