Amanda-Users

Still having connection problems

2007-10-24 21:01:16
Subject: Still having connection problems
From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse AT fmp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 19:48:07 -0500
I'm still having connection problems with amanda, as per an earlier
email.  I got a couple of useful suggestions from people on this list,
and have given considerable study to the setup for amandahosts and the
amanda services file for xinetd, but the problem persists.

There seems to be an issue of some sort with regard to the VPN between
the server and client.  If I take down the VPN, open the proper ports on
the server, adjust configuration files accordingly and do an amcheck
from the server to the client I can get a proper response using amcheck,
but still can't do a backup.

With the VPN up, I can't find a way to get traffic back into amanda on
the server side.  tcpdump shows that packets are arriving back on the
server box, but amandad seems to be ignoring them and times out with:

WARNING: shakti-vpn.fmp.com: selfcheck request failed: timeout waiting for ACK
Client check: 1 host checked in 30.080 seconds, 1 problem found

I've turned off xinetd security on the client with "only_from =
0.0.0.0" (it's behind a firewall and pretty safe!) so my guess is that
probably ~amanda/.amandahosts isn't kosher.  I have

shakti-vpn.fmp.com              amanda amindexd amidxtaped

in the file, but this doesn't help.  This address resolves to an
RFC-1918 address, backwards and forwards on the amanda server.

Is there any way to turn off or bypass security on the amanda server
altogether until I get the problem solved?  Is there some other setting
I need to muck with or some diagnostic I can run to help debug this?

Anyone on this list have any ideas?  I'll have to back-version again
tonight so my nightly backups will run properly, but I keep banging away
at this during the day.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works    |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |       if you let it" |      available at