Amanda-Users

backup/recover using tar and hard links

2007-10-17 06:24:53
Subject: backup/recover using tar and hard links
From: "Dennis Ortsen" <dortsen AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:17:26 +0200
Hi All,

I'm using amanda 2.4.5 and a supported gnutar on Fedora.
One of the servers we're backing up is a Cyrus IMAP server with a lot
of mailboxes. Cyrus makes hard links when the same message is sent to
multiple people (when they're on the same cyrus partition).

I'm trying to recover the contents of a mailbox, but it contains some
hard links to mail messages in other mailboxes. Some of those other
mailboxes (that contained the actual file) have been removed (deleted)
in the past few months. The amrecover (tar actually) program complains
that it cannot hard link to <filename> because the other mailbox/file
doesn't exist: "tar: ./user/student5/626.: Cannot hard link to
`./user/student2/555.': No such file or directory".

I'm now facing two issues:

- how can I (easily) recover the rest (I could make dummy
directories/files, but is there an easier way)?
- how can I make sure with amanda it will backup the actual file
instead of only the hard link to the actual file? Is there a
flag/option I can add somewhere?

thanks in advance,

Br,

Dennis