Amanda-Users

Re: hitting EOT early?

2007-10-17 08:36:02
Subject: Re: hitting EOT early?
From: Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 14:29:40 +0200
On 2007-10-17 14:05, Nick Brockner wrote:
Thanks, I just did a "mt -f /dev/st0 compression 0", "defcompression 0" didn't seem to be valid for this device (or nst0), so I guess I'll just reboot to be sure compression is off on the drive.

I guess we'll see what happens tonight.

You did read, and understand:

  ?  (link mentioned in the wiki)

Because just those DAT drives have that problem (at least, that is where
I encountered them first).  I mean: it is NOT enough to disable
compression by that command above, because, that sets the mode only
for the next write to the drive.  However, amanda always first READS
the tape inserted to verify the label, and by doing that, the tapedrive
is set to whatever mode that the tape was written with. If that tape
was written in compressed mode, the drive is in compressed mode again.

A reboot will not help at all, it will just reset the tapedrive to
the default mode, but still subject to autochange mode the when reading
a tape.

To really verify if compression is off, you can use the command:

  amtapetype -c -f /dev/nst0

which takes only a few minutes.

Nick