Amanda-Users

Re: sendsize finishes, planner doesn't notice...

2007-10-12 12:17:50
Subject: Re: sendsize finishes, planner doesn't notice...
From: Paul Lussier <pll+amanda AT permabit DOT com>
To: Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 12:04:27 -0400
Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com> writes:

> Paul Lussier wrote:
>>
>> Can you point me to where in the docs this is mentioned?
>
> It's not documented, it's not a server limit, it's a client limit we
> added do be sure amandad will eventually terminate.

Ahh, that's why I never knew about it :) Perhaps some mention of it
could be made in the docs for the next release.  With storage sizes
only ever increasing, it's probably only a matter of time before
someone else runs into this (if they're lucky, they'll search these
archives :)

> historical data are build from successful backup, first estimate will
> be way off, but it will learn.

Oh, okay.  I didn't realize it could learn that way.

> You should add a spindle for dle on the same physical disk, it can be
> a lot faster.

I don't understand this statement.  Could you clarify please?

> A solution could be to add an 'etimeout' in amanda-client.conf,
> amandad could use it instead of REP_TIMEOUT.
> Maybe the server could send it's own timeout to amandad.

Are you suggesting this is currently possible, or that it might be a
good solution for the future?  I saw in amandad.c there are comments
mentioning that REP_TIMEOUT and ACK_TIMEOUT should be configurable.
I think that's a good future direction :)
--
Thanks,
Paul