Amanda-Users

Re: sendsize finishes, planner doesn't notice...

2007-10-12 13:28:47
Subject: Re: sendsize finishes, planner doesn't notice...
From: Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Paul Lussier <pll+amanda AT permabit DOT com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 13:20:16 -0400
Paul Lussier wrote:
You should add a spindle for dle on the same physical disk, it can be
a lot faster.

I don't understand this statement.  Could you clarify please?
man amanda
search for spindle
All DLE of a physical disk should have the same spindle (>0).
It's generally faster to run them sequentially instead of in parallel, just think about head movement.
A solution could be to add an 'etimeout' in amanda-client.conf,
amandad could use it instead of REP_TIMEOUT.
Maybe the server could send it's own timeout to amandad.

Are you suggesting this is currently possible, or that it might be a
good solution for the future?  I saw in amandad.c there are comments
mentioning that REP_TIMEOUT and ACK_TIMEOUT should be configurable.
I think that's a good future direction :)
for future.